The assessment lead immediately into hands on immediately - this elderly couple wanted things fixed and fast, so...I got down to business!
Of course, like many jobs, what seems to be straight forward and fairly easy to repair - wasn't.
The 10 foot cedar planks were not only rotted through and unsafe to walk on, but the 3" deck screw heads were rusted and some of them just popped off making the job more difficult than what was anticipated.
However it was nothing a pry bar and jig saw couldn't handle and within not much time, but some effort and strength it was "out with the old and in with the new". At this point the lady of the house came out to see the results and said she couldn't believe the difference and how beautiful it looked.
Job 1 completed - on with the next.
A copper pipe was located underneath the deck that was coming from the foundation of the house and about 8 feet long with a number of joiners that had been welded in. This pipe had its day and had obviously been repaired on more than one occasion.
The gentlemen of the house asked "Can you take it out, replace it with new, but have it coming out the other side of the deck and put a new tap on it?"
I said "sure! I'll get on that today". and so I did.
The challenge was crawling underneath the deck with a height of only about 2 1/2 feet and I'm 6' tall! But I enjoy a challenge.
I cut the old pipe off, observed the break in the line (no wonder! A harsh winter and no insulation around the pipe! Not to mention the pipe's age) and noticed a lot of oxidization that had formed. Regardless, I crawled back under the small, dark space, sanded the cut off end, used my 1/2" wire pipe brush, added some flux to both the end piece and a new copper elbow, applied the torch, added some solder and voila!
I then took the 4 1/2 foot line and secured it with some strapping, fed it along the foundation and out the side of the deck.
I then applied some flux to the other end, added in a threaded adapter, put some flux on, joined the two together and applied the torch and solder and voila!
I then added some plumbers tape to the threads of the new outside tap and we were in business.
There were a couple of added smaller jobs to do while I was there, but enough said already!
The very sweet couple are happy with the end result and that's what matters most!
Thanks for reading!
Now...on with Day 2....